MUSK MELON PAYASAM

Musk melon payasam
Sounds novel, sounds different

Lock down days, seniors cannot step out, cannot waste resources, use produce judiciously and wisely
many thoughts getting blitzed. As I do my morning work outs I plan my meal for the day. I am happy I have a melon waiting since past few days to be used up. I feel I am sorted. Prepare some pongal and augment with freshly cut musk melon. It is summer and this fruit is soothing too.

My kitchen routine starts on a high.  Water is being boiled to cook soaked sago pearls to make some sandige - a taditional sundried, ready to fry snack. Wok on the other burner is waiting for green gram lentil to be roasted for pongal.
In the mean while I reach out to my dear melon and smell it to check if it is ready. To my dismay, that characteristic aroma of a ripe melon is missing. I still plan to go ahead and slice the melon into two. Oh no... the meat is hard, i am disappointed. The researcher in me says, why don't you think of some ideas to use it up to make some thing interesting.
A 100 candle bulb lights up in my head, quite literally. I am aware that, jack fruit which has a strong characteristic aroma is used in coastal belt of Karnataka to make traditional payasam. I take the cue and decide to go ahead with Musk melon Payasam and I am not at disappointed and so are my folks.

Subtle aroma of melon with nutty flavour of coconut and almond, a hint of cardamom with organic jaggery playing its part in mildly sweetening up the pudding all come together and create magic.

All I did was roast extra green gram lentil to be used  as the base for payasam.

Let us see how to go about without wasting much time.

Ease- -very easy
Time - prep time 10mins, cooking time 20 - 30 mins
Serves 6 people

Ingredients
Green gram lentil (moong daal) 1/2 cup
Soaked almonds 15
grated coconut 1/2 cup
chopped almonds and raisins little
musk melon cut into small cubes 1 1/2cups
powdered cardamom
for sweetening - 3/4 cup jaggery (you may add honey, palm sugar or brown sugar)

!. Roast and cook the lentil till soft
 2. Grind soaked almonds and coconut to a smooth paste and add the same to cooked lentil
3.Add jaggery and simmer


 4. Add diced musk melon  and simmer till soft (approx 5 minutes), sprinkle some freshly ground  cardamom

 5.Garnish with ghee roasted cashews, raisins and chopped almonds

Note
1. Try replacing green gram lentil with cooked sage pearls
2. Keep stirring at regular intervals to avoid burning
3.Serve it hot or chilled. Bothe taste great

Comments