Rice idlis can be made interesting, tasty and more nourishing by making small modifications and small twists. Here is a variant masala idli with additional spices and steamed in a plate unlike normal idli moulds. This idli can be paired with molagai podi/chutney of your choice.
- idli batter (refer rice idli post of this blog) - 1 ltr.
- mustard seeds [ 1 spoon
- soaked channa dal - 1/4 cup
- coriander - 3 sprigs
- crushed pepper - 1/2 spoon
- cumin - 1/2 spoon
- asafoetida - 1 pinch
- grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- ghee for seasoning and too smear on the plate
Step 1 Seasoning
- In a kadai on medium flame add ghee heat and let it slputter, add croshed pepper, cumin , chopped coriander, asafoetida and stir for a minute
- Mix soaked channa dal, seasoning, grated coconut add additional salt to taste. Mix the batter well and keep aside.
- Graese a plate with ghee and add the batter leaving enough room for the batter to rise when it cooks. Place the palte in a pre heated pan/ cooker and staem like regular idlis a for 10 - 12 minutes. Take the palte out allow it to cool a bit , cut to desired shape with knife and remove carefully. Serve with mozhaga podi/chutney.
- Finely chopped dil/spinach/grated carrots may also be used
- During avarekai season cooked avarekai (a type of seasonal Indian bean Lablab purpureus ) also can be added