Kari kadabu/ karjikai figures on festival menu throughout India.This sweet fried dumpling is known by diffent names karikadubu (Kannada), karachkai (Tamil), Kudumulu (Telugu), Gujhiya, gujia (Hindi, gujarathi), karanji (Marathi). The basic recipe is pretty much the same for all of these. The outer shell is made of semolina or refined flour and a sweet filling of choice - koya, dry fruits, dry coconut with sugar, bele hoorana (made of dal, coconut and jaggery mix).
- Chiroti sooji - semolina fine variety- 250 gms
- Refined flour - 1/4 cuo
- Ghee - 4 spoons
- Desicated grated coconut - 1 1/2 cups
- Sugar - 1 1/2 cups
- cashew broken1 1/2 cups
- Raisins - 1/2 cup
- Roasted poppy seeds - 1/2 cup
- cardamom powder - 1/2 spoon
- Oil - to fry (You may also use ghee)
Step 1 Preparation of the dough
- Prepare a firm dough with sooji, flour, ghee by adding water little by little. kneed it well. Cover the dough with wrap/ moist cloth.
- Mix grated coconut, sugar, raisins, cashew,poppy seeds and cardamom powder and keep aside
Step 3 Filling
- Take a gooseberry sized dough and kneed. Roll it into a thin sheet of ( 5 inch long and 4 inch wide) Fill it with 2 - 3 spoons of filling, Moisten the edges with a wet wick. Close and seal properly.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadai/wok on medium heat. Check for the temperature by dropping a small bit of dough into oil. the dough should come up floating, Fry the dumplings slowly till light golden, Drain the oil and take it out. Cool properly and store it in air tight container. Stays fresh for 7 - 10 days.
- Dough should be firm and rolled into thin sheets.
- Kneading the dough will make it pliable
- Dough should be covered with wet cloth or wrap otherwise it forms crust and gives uneven texture.
- Moistening the edges helps sealing.
- Refined oil has to be used
- Ghee has high smoking point so is a better option for frying
- This filling looks brownish because of demerara sugar
- Never heat the oil to a smoking point. It leaves a burnt after taste.
- sealing can be done in molds available.
- Sealing should be proper or the filling will spill into oil which is undesirable.