VEGETABLE SAJJE ROTTI/VEGETABLE PEARL MILLET ROTTI/SABZIWALA BAJRA ROTI

I am a distance runner or I think so?. Ha Ha. Yes I train with a popular running group in my city namma Bengaluru, We keep discussing about fitness, diet, healthy eating, pre run foods, on trail nourishment, post run foods etc. There are nutrition gels, bars, drinks sold in the market which are very pricey. I would always wonder what the running tribes like tarahumara, raramuri and others all over the world ate and what kept them fit?
I would notice my grand parents did not do any dieting, they were fit and active so are my parents. Definitely diet must have played its role. Every day meal will have one dish with a millet specially finger millet ragi.It could be a finger millet ball, millet porridge, popped ragi that we called hurittu, ragi rotti apart from lots of fresh vegetables, fresh desi curd and ghee.
Millets are ubiquitous in India. It is ragi in Karnataka, Bajra in Gujarath, Kambu in Tamil Nadu, Sajjalu in Andhra Pradesh. Millets were part and parcel of daily staple contributing significantly for the well being. Millets are making a comeback currently and it is time to design recipes that suit dietary requirements, ease of preparations and appeal.
Here is one such attempt of mine.
The other day my husband who is also a distance runner came back after work out visibly tired and ready to gobble up any thing at sight. It is important to eat a proper diet to nourish, repair and build muscles. I was lazy to prepare food rather there was no idli or dosa batter for a quick fix, I was not willing to ask him to eat out, my Patni Dharma ? would not allow me to do that. Reluctantly I opened the refrigerator, I found carrots, radish, green bell peppers, some methi green, green chilli and grated coconuts. Suddenly my brain lit up like a flash bulb. I told him to wait for 15 minutes and he had his his sumptuous breakfast as promised. It was pearl millet flour rotti, replete with colours, red, green and orange, flavoured with methi green and onions and a nutty aroma of roasted coconut. Served with radish chutney and a dollop of butter, curd and pickle for added choice and waited for the reaction. Polished plate gave me the answer.
So it is time to know how I managed this
  • Difficulty - easy
  • Preparation time - 10 minutes
  • Cooking time - 5 minutes for each rotti
  • Yield - 6 rottis
Ingredients
  • Pearl millet flour 2 cups
  • carrots - 2 small
  • Onions - 2 small
  • Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
  • Green chilli - 4 -5
  • capsicum - 1 big
  • Methi green - 1 cup
  • coriander - 1 cup
  • salt to taste
  • Oil - to drizzle

Method
Finely chop all the veggies and the greens. I used a mechanical veggie chopper.
Place millet flour, chopped veggies,grated coconut and salt in a large bowl and give a nice mix


Add warm water little by little and prepare a dough that is loose ( unlike chapathi dough)


Heat a griddle , drizzle oil of choice ( I use ground nut oil), place a handful of dough and spread it on the griddle with finger tips, quickly. Sprinkle little water if the dough becomes hot and not able to touch/spread. Try to spread as thin as possible to get a crisp rotti. Roast it covered.


.
Remove the lid, check for roasting, drizzle oil if required. Take out the rotti and serve hot.

Repeat the procedure for rest of the dough

Tips
  • This rotti is generally prepared plain  or  with chopped onions.
  • Tasted great with peanut chutney 
  • Could serve this rotti  with pickle of your choice and curd

Comments