Ottu shyavige /shyavige is a traditional south Indian rice preparation. This popular rice flour string hooper is bland and is served with salty, spicy or sweet side dishes. posted here is home made rice flour hoopers mixed with spicy green chilly and lemon juice seasoning.
Preparation and cooking time - 10 minutes
- Shyavige/sevai/idiyappam as per requirement (I have used 3 plates full)
- Juicy lemon - 1
- Green chilly - 4-5
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coriander - 2 sprigs
- Cashew nuts - 10
- Mustard seeds - 1 spoon
- Urad dal/channa dal - 1 spoon each (optional)
- Oil - 3 spoons
- Grated desiccated coconut/raw coconut - 1/2 cup
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
- Salt - to taste
- Place shyavige in a wide mixing bowl/basin
- Break cashew into pieces, chop chillies and coriander separately and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. add mustard let it crackle, add channa dal and urad dal and roast till golden, add finely chopped green chillies, curry leaves, turmeric powder and asafoetida, finally add coconut and switch off the stove.
- Add this seasoning to the shyavige inn the mixing bowl, add salt to taste, squeeze inn the lemon juice, sprinkle chopped coriander and give a gentle but through mix with fingers/fork.
- Lemon shyavige is ready to serve. Serve this alone or with coconut chutney/raitha /papad
- Look for preparation of shyavige , hoopers/sevai in this blogspot
- Same seasoning and method can be followed for staemed rice/ soaked poha (beaten rice)