Ottu shyavige /shyavige is a traditional south Indian rice preparation. This popular rice flour string hooper is bland and is served with salty, spicy or sweet side dishesGrated coconut and simple seasoning with curry leaves can turn bland shyavige into unbelievably tasty and addictive. Enhance the taste adding dry fruits -cashew, raisins and enjoy.
So here you go -
Preparation and cooking time - 10 minutes
- Plain shyavige - 4 plates
- Red dried chillies - 4
- Urad dal and channa dal - 1 spoon each
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coriander - 2 sprigs
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Ghee - 2 spoons (vegans use 2 spoons coconut oil)
- Cashew nuts - 5
- Mustard seeds - 1 spoon
- Salt to taste
- Place shyavige in a mixing bowl
- Heat oil/ghee in a kadai/wok add mustard and let it crackle, add urad dal and channna dal and roast till golden brown, add broken cashew pieces, fry till golden, add broken chilly, curry leaves and chopped coriander and switch the stove off.
- Mix shyavige , coconut , seasoning and salt as per taste - gently and serve.
- This tastes good even when cold
- This seasoning can be used to mahe ghee rice/ coconut rice - just replace shyavige with steamed rice.
- Since raw coconut is used , consume within 2 - 3 hours , especially during hot/summer season