Ottu shyavige /shyavige is a traditional south Indian rice preparation. This popular rice flour string hooper is bland and is served with salty, spicy or sweet side dishes. Mix shyavige with coconut hoorana and enjoy the nutty creamy coconut sweetened with jaggery. Learn how to make coconut hoorana which finds multiple uses and can be stored without refrigeration at least for a fortnight.
- Ease - skill required to judge the end point
- Preparation time - 15 minutes
- Cooking time - 15 minutes
- Grated raw coconut - 1 bowl
- Crushed jaggery - 1 bowl
- Cardamom powder - a few pinches
- In a thick bottomed wok mix jaggery, coconut, 4 spoons of water and heat slowly. Keep stirring untill the jaggery dissolves, starts thickening and sticky. Stir further till the syruppy jaggery on sides of the wok becomes dry. Switch the stove off and add cardamom powder.
- Cool and store
- Place required amount of plain shavige in a bowl and mix hoorana as per taste and serve
- This coconut hoorana can be mixed with steamed hot rice, garnished with dry fruits to prepare bellada anna - which is again a traditional sweet dish in south India.
- This hoorana can be used as a filling for karikadubu,