SEEMEBADANE HASI KOOTU/SEEMA VANKAYA PACHI KOOTU/CHOW CHOW KOOTU

Ever wondered about a three course meal readied and brought to table in 30 minutes flat? On an odd day, I got lost in gardening from morning and I had not realized that it was past 1 pm and lunch had to be prepared. Used to having hot fresh food for every meal I started mulling about some quick fix recipes which could go well with steamed rice, with the vegetables that I had, good on taste buds et al. I also , to be honest, did not want to hear complaints about hurried meal preparation and see long faces at the table.
Steamed rice was getting ready and had to make at least two vegetable dishes, one with sauce and the other stir fried. I decided to fry cabbage and for the saucy dish I chose to make hasi kootu. I was happy about my choice and I was able get the lunch on the table in 30 minutes flat with set curd, vegetables, pappadams, pickles to pep up the meal and of course both the vegetables. Wondering how? Hasi kootu is a preparation that uses ingredients raw - Hasi meaning raw so cooking time is minimum and I used chow chow/choyote which is easy to cut and fast to cook. This wonder dish looks and tastes great and no need to add that it was taken well by my folks and I was relieved too.
So what is hasi kootu and how is it prepared ? let us have a peek.
  • Ease - very easy
  • Preparation time - 10 min
  • Cooking time - 15 minutes
Ingredients


  • Chow Chow - 2 tender ones 
  • Coconut (grated) - 1 cup 
  • Fried gram dal - 1 spoon 
  • Cumin seeds - 1 big spoon 
  • Turmeric powder - 1.2 spoon 
  • Asafoetida - 4 -5 grains 
  • Coriander powder - 1 spoon 
  • Green chillies - 3 -4 
  • Coriander 2 sprigs 
  • Curry leaves - 1 sprig 
  • Oil - 1 spoon 
  • Mustard seeds - 1.2 spoon 
  • Salt - 1 spoon ( to taste) 
Instructions
  • Wash, peel and cut choyote/ chow chow into 1 cm cubes. ( I do not peel as I use tender ones). 
  • Cook chow chow till tender with 1 cup water. 
  • Add salt to the cooking vegetable 
  • In the meanwhile grind coconut, cumin, coriander powder, turmeric, asafoetida, fried gram and green chillies into a smooth paste 
  • Add the paste to boiling vegetable , add some water to get proper sambar consistency and bring to boil under low flame with stirring. 
  • Prepare seasoning - heat oil in a wok, add mustard let it crackle, add curry leaves and chopped coriander 
  • Garnish the kootu with seasoning 
  • Kootu is ready to serve - Serve kootu with steamed rice with a dash of ghee. or serve with ragi mudde (millet balls)

Notes
  • Kootu may be served with chapathis if made thicker 
  • Hasi kootu may be prepared with cabbage, hitakida avare, pumpkin, snake gourd and bottle gourd 

Comments