MENTHYA SOPPU SHANKARA POLI


Mention Shankara poli, I get a peculiar smile on my face. As a kid, I remember, I would pester my mother to explain the meaning of the word Shankara poli - Shankara being the name of Lord Shiva. I would tease her by asking her to prepare Parvathi poli - Parvathi a consort of Lord Shiva. My mother would shoo me away unable to explain the nomenclature.
Now I know that Shankara poli is a distorted name of Shakkarapale a sweet deep fried snack. Shankara Poli a crunchy favorite is prepared in Karnataka and Maharashtra particularly during Deepavali.
Posted here is a spicy and colorful version of Shankara poli, an all time favorite of my Children.
  • Ease - Easy, - skill acquired with practice
  • Preparation time - 15 minutes
  • Cooking time - 45 minutes
Ingredients
  • Wheat flour/all purpose flour - 500 gms
  • Methi green - 1 big bunch
  • Green Chillies - 6 - 8
  • Asafoetida - 2 generous pinches
  • Ghee - 3 spoons
  • Salt to taste
  • Oil for deep frying - oil of your choice - I use Ground nut oil
Method
  • Clean and wash methi green and grind to a smooth paste with green chillies using very little water ( a few table spoons)
  • In a wide bowl/basin mix flour, methi paste, ghee, asafoetida powder, salt and prepare a firm dough adding water if required and keep aside for 10 minute
  • Knead the dough well, take a lemon sized dough and roll into thin sheets like chapathi, cut into desired shape (squre/diamond/triangle) using pastry cutter
  • Heat oil in a heavy bottomed wok under medium flame, check for the heat by dropping a small piece of the dough
  • Deep fry the cut shankara polis till crisp.
  • Drain the oil, cool and store in a air tight container


 

Notes
Greens paste should be smooth , other wise rolling the dough becomes difficult
Frying to be done very slowly to get the crunch
Do not over fry - methi has a bitter after taste- over frying will spoil that flavor
I prepare chaats with this shankara poli

Comments