As a young adult, I used to think that pumpkin is loaded with sugar and is fattening?. Gyan was limited ... no internet, no easy access to information. What a loss. Now I know that pumpkin is a store house of vitamins and minerals and very low in calorific content.
So I use pumpkin without guilt and try to churn out foods that are tasty, easy and agreeable to taste buds.
Here we go...., easy to cook, stir fried pumpkin or simply sihi kumbala kayi palya
- Ease- very easy
- Preparation time - 15 minutes
- Cooking time - 15 minutes
- Pumpkin - 1/4 kg
- Onions - 2 (medium sized)
- Green chillies - 5 - 6
- Curry leaves - 2 sprigs
- Coriander - 4 sprigs
- Ginger - 2 inches
- Lemon - 1
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 spoon
- Oil - 2 spoons
- Salt - 1 spoon (to taste)
- Wash pumpkin thoroughly, remove inner smooth pulp and seeds and cut into small 1 inch pieces as shown ( leave the skin intact)
- slice onions, slit, chillies, chop coriander and ginger finely and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a kadai/wok, add mustard let it crackle, add c urry leaves, chillies and half of the chopped coriander and fry for a minute
- Add slices onions and fry till onions sweat/ become translucent.
- Add cut pumpkin and salt, mix, sprinkle a two spoons of water and cook covered as shown for 7 - 8 minutes under low medium flame. Stir periodically to avoid sticking/burning.
- garnish with the other half of the chopped coriander and serve.
- This kumbala kayi palya goes well with ragi dosa, ragi rotti, chapathi and as an accompaniment with rasam rice/curd rice
- Pumpkin looks tough to handle? very easy and quick to cook.
- Do not discard skin - skin also cooks easily and adds to texture
- Too sweet for a curry? spice up - add extra chliies/garlic etc.
Low calorie value -100 grams fruit provides 26 calories no saturated fats or cholesterol
Rich source of dietary fiber, anti-oxidants, minerals, vitamins – recommended for cholesterol control and weight reduction programs
Storehouse of many anti-oxidant vitamins such as vitamin-A, vitamin-C and vitamin-E
Source of many natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds such as α, ß carotenes, cryptoxanthin, lutein and zea-xanthin.
Source of B-complex group of vitamins like folates, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin and pantothenic acid.
Source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium and phosphorus.