Deepavali brings memories of childhood - those fun filled days, the lady who used to come home to give oil massage to us siblings, fire wood heated bath water with aromas of herbs and leaves soaked in it, new cloths, getting decked up with special gold jewellery, mango leaf decorated main entrance door, rangoli patterns drawn with rice paste at the entrance, delicious feast, helping mother to light oil lamps around the house, changing over to cottons before bursting crackers, screaming with joy with every flower pot, bhoomi chakker, What a fun. Those were the days.
It is Deepavali time again, time to celebrate with family and friends. Its sweets galore every where. Sweets that could be stored for distribution, sweets that are safe for children and delectable for adults, sweets that go well with savory/namkeen and coffee for friends who call on to wish and exchange pleasantries - varied requirements. I think burfis fit the bill. Carrot burfi, one of my favs and this is how I prepare, simple hassle free method.
- Ease - easy - Skill required
- Preparation time - 20 minutes
- Cooking time - 45 minutes
- Freshly grated Carrot - 1 cup
- Freshly grated coconut - 1 cup
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Condensed milk - 3/4 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Ghee - 1/2 cup
- Broken chashew - 1/2 cup
- Cardamon -6
- Cloves - 4
- Powder cardamom and cloves and keep aside
- Fry broken cashew with a spoon of ghee till golden in a heavy bottomed wok.pan and keep aside
- In the came wok mix all the ingredients except cashew and heat the mixture under low flame with constant stirring to avoid sticking and burning
- Slowly the mixture starts becoming thick. Keep stirring
- The mixture becomes sticky, moves in one mass when stirred and leaves the pan, ghee starts separating. At this point add cashew and cardamom powder, mix well
- Pour hot mixture on a greased plate and spread evenly with a flat greased spoon with patting movement.
- Let it cool a bit and cut burfis to desired shape and size
- Store in a air tight container after burfis cool down completely
- Serve with salted snacks/savory/namkeen
Sugar binds the ingredients after it aqiures thread consistency, proportion of sugar is the key for proper consistency of burfi.