BADAM CHOCOLATE BURFI


In southern India burfi by default refers to kobri mithai a confectionery prepared using sugar and coconut. Burfi was synonymous to kobri mithai during my childhood until I discovered that mithai could be prepared with milk, dry fruits, mango pulp etc. My obsession for sweets and confectionery lead me to my moms kitchen where I started experimenting and creating (?) variations of burfi some times with success, sometimes with disaster. My parents were supportive and never stopped my ventures.
My first success story with chocolate burfi was when I celebrated the the arrival of my brother who is 15 years younger. I wanted a new/special sweet for the occasion so tried to combine chocolate and kobri mithai and made chocolate burfi. I had used drinking chocolate powder though.
My burfi techniques also evolved slowly with me over years and I think, I pretty much get same taste and texture every time I make this dish. I garnered courage to share this, so you go ahead and try this. I am confident you will get it right. Share with me your experience and comment.

Chocolate is not as bad as it is made out to be (see nutrition facts). So without guilt take a plunge.
  • Ease - easy - skill to be aquired
  • Preparation time - 15 minutes
  • Cooking time - 30 minute
  • Serving - 50 - 55 pieces (2 x 2 x 1 inch)
Ingredients


  • Grated coconut - 1 cup
  • Milk - 1 cup
  • Sugar - 1 cup
  • Ghee - 3/4 cup
  • Chopped almonds - 1/2 cup
  • Condensed milk - 2/3 cup
  • Cocoa powder - 1/2 cup ( 2 big spoonfuls)
  • Raisins - 1/4 cup
Method
  • Dry grind grated coconut to get fine powder.
  • Finely chop almonds
  • In a thick bottomed pan/wok/kadai combine all the ingredients except almond and raisins
  • Start heating on a low flame with constant stirring to avoid sticking and burning
  • The mixture starts thickening. When reduced to half add almond and raisins
  • Continue stirring till ghee starts separating and the mixture looks sticky, one combined mass
  • Pour hot mixture into a plate greased with ghee and flatten as shown using a flat spoon
  • Let it cool for 2 minue and cut using a knife/pastry cutter into desired shape and size
  • Store pieces in an air tight container after burfi cools down completely.






Tips
Condensed milk may be substituted with fresh cream - additional sugar, 1/4 cup more to be added
Almonds to be added after thickening of the mixture else almond will get cooked because of water in milk

Nutrition and facts about cocoa

Chocolate is an eternal obsession - comfort food for thousands of years. For Mayans cocao was a cure-all and the Aztecs used it as money.
Theobromine a component of cocoa is considered to give more protective benefits than fluoride and used in fluoride free mint tooth paste (theodent.com)
That chocolate is packed with caffeine is a misconception - an ounce of dark chocolate contains about 1/5 of the amount of caffeine in a 8 ounce cup of coffee.
Chocolate may lower ldl cholesterol
May prevent memory decline
Reduce heart disease risks
May prevent strokes
Phenolic compounds in cocoa have antioxidant potential.

Comments