Akki rotti is a very popular breakfast dish in Karnataka. It is easy to make. The crunchy pan crust coupled with soft upper layer makes it very unique. This simple dish is prepared with rice flour, salt and spiced up with green chilly, coriander, grated coconut and some select vegetables / greens (optional). The variant presented here is made with grated cucumber. White rice flour can be substituted with red rice flour to make it more nutritious.
- Ease - skill based - easy
- Preparation time -10 minutes
- Cooking time - 30 minutes
- Quantity - 6 rottis
- Rice flour - 2 cup
- Cucumber - 1 big
- Grated coconut - 1 cup
- Coriander - 5-6 sprigs
- Asafoetida powder - 1/4 spoon
- Cumin - 1 spoon
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - for roasting
- Wash, peel, grate cucumber and place in a bowl
- Add rice flour, salt, coconut, cumin seeds and asafoetida powder and mix /kneed to a firm dough adding water little by little.
- Grease a thick bottomed wok/ kadai with ghee/oil
- Take a handful of dough and place it in the pan.
- Pat the dough evenly inside the wok, drizzle some oil
- Cook/roast on medium flame with cover
- Check for roasting
- Take out and serve hot.
- Chutney, chutney powder, curd, ghee, pickle could be served with rotti
- Red rice flour gives more nutrition
- Brown rice flour has more fiber
- Greens like methi, Dil, Spinach may be used
- Finely chopped onions makes rotti more tasty